Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Make something ugly, beautiful

First of all, since I'm calling this a naturalist blog, I should probably write something natury because the photos are not of natural things.  If it is clear outside where you live and you can see the sky, you should make an effort to go out and check out the moon, Venus, and Mars tonight or tomorrow night.  The moon is a waxing crescent right now and Venus is an extremely bright "star" to the right of the moon, it is nearly as bright as the moon!  Tonight, February 1st, Mars is a dim but easily visible, reddish "star" in between the moon and Venus, closer to Venus than the moon.  Last night, Venus was to the right of the moon and Mars was above and in between them forming a squat triangle.  Take a look!

These photos are the same as the one I posted yesterday, I just did a little computer enhancement and like the results.



Earlier today, I had a conversation with a co-worker friend who is a fantastic painter as well as a beginner photographer like me.  We were talking about work related things at first and then moved to photography.  During our photography conversation, she shared a suggestion with me that another artist or art teacher had suggested to her - it's easy to make something beautiful, beautiful.  Try to make something ugly, beautiful.  That isn't verbatim but gets the point across.  These photos were my attempt today to do that.




These next photos are of a telephone pole and the tar coating it.



These are of a cleat attached to a different telephone pole with stainless steel screws.




1 comment:

  1. I like the contrast in that B&W tar covered pole - intriguing.

    ReplyDelete